This article appeared online at TheNewAmerican.com on Monday, January 10, 2022:
Ohio’s Republican Representative Jim Jordan responded on Sunday to the January 6 “Select” committee’s request to testify before the committee. His response reminded one of American General Anthony McAuliffe’s answer to the German demand that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge during World War II. Responded McAuliffe: “Nuts!”
The American people are tired of Democrats’ nonstop investigations and partisan witch hunts.
Your letter of December 22, 2021, unfortunately continues this Democrat obsession. It amounts to an unprecedented and inappropriate demand….
This request is far outside the bounds of any legitimate inquiry, violates core Constitutional principles, and would serve to further erode legislative norms.
The first House member, Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.), to receive such an “invitation” back in December responded similarly:
I stand with immense respect for our Constitution, the Rule of Law, and the Americans I represent who know that this entity is illegitimate. [It is] not duly constituted under the rules of the U.S. House of Representatives.
I decline this entity’s request and will continue to fight the failures of the radical Left who desperately seek distraction from their abject failures of crushing inflation, a humiliating surrender in Afghanistan, and the horrendous crisis they created at our border.
In its desperate search for evidence of any kind to prove that former President Donald Trump somehow engineered the so-called “insurrection” at the Capitol building on January 6, 2021, the committee has turned itself into a witch hunt. It has subpoenaed hundreds of individuals whom the committee suspects might be able to provide it with a smoking gun.
So far, they have come up with nothing. When the committee subpoenaed General Michael Flynn, former Trump advisor Stephen Bannon, and former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, each acerbically declined.
The committee is illegitimate. Consider these facts:
• The committee refuses to subpoena any Democrat who might have had a hand in allowing the event to get out of hand, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Administration Committee Chair Zoe Lofgren.
• Pelosi refused to seat two Republicans on the committee who she said were biased in favor of Trump: Representatives Jim Jorden and Jim Banks (R-Ind.). Pelosi said their “statements and actions” would have impacted negatively “the integrity of the investigation.”
• A member of the committee, Representative Adam Schiff (D-Calif.), doctored a conversation between former White House Chief of Staff Meadows and Jorden to make it appear they were colluding in the incident. The breach of ethics was so outrageous that the committee was forced to apologize.
Most tellingly, the committee refuses to admit the reality of the January 6 incident, which fades into insignificance when compared to the riots committed by Black Lives Matter last year which they should be investigating:
• There were more than 500 riots across the country inspired and instigated by members of BLM, lasting seven months, resulting in more than 20 murders and the destruction of hundreds of small businesses.
• More than 150 federal buildings were damaged or destroyed, resulting in more than $1 billion in damage. More than 2,000 law enforcement officers were assaulted while protestors were bailed out by left-wing District Attorneys (many with financial ties to George Soros).
• The riots were encouraged by the mainstream media, which in their reporting minimized the damage to both lives and property wrought by the riots.
On the other hand:
The January 6 incident lasted a couple of hours, resulting in one murder — that of an unarmed protestor by a Capitol police officer, no businesses were destroyed, one federal building suffered damage estimated at about $1.5 million, 140 officers were assaulted, and hundreds of protesters were arrested with many still being held in solitary confinement awaiting trial.
The witch hunt will continue as part of the Democrats’ partisan agenda to sully former President Trump and his supporters. It will likely continue right up until November when Republicans are expected to clean the House of many of the radicals making up the committee.